Soberton Shield 2020 Rules and Guidance
WHEN: 6:45pm on 13 March, 3 April, 1 May, 4 September, 2 October, 6 November.
WHERE: At the Paterson Centre, Swanmore. Table money is £2.00
per player including tea/coffee and biscuits.
- The competition is for up to 9 teams only with each team
consisting of six players. There are 8 teams in this year's competition.
- All teams to have a playing name (assigned by the team) and a
team number (assigned by the organisers).
- Each player will be assigned an individual handicap, based on
their NGS grade as at the date of play. These will be as
follows: 2 +16, 3 +8, 4 +8, 5 +4, 6 +4, 7 0, 8 -4, 9 -4, T -8, J
-8, Q -12, K -16, A -20. In the absence of an NGS ranking,
players will be asked to disclose their percentage on these
dates. For those with no ranking, handicaps will be assigned
commensurate with playing experience.The handicap of each team
will be calculated on this basis. The maximum handicap for a team will be 48.
- Each team will field 4 players to play on the evening. There
are no restrictions on which 4 players can play on any night.
- Team captains are encouraged to let their teams know at the start of the year which
sessions they will be playing during the year.
This will help alleviate the search for substitutes just before a session.
- Any team unable to field 4 of their chosen 6 shall be
entitled to bring in a player who has not previously played for
any other team. The substitute does not become a permanent
member of the team. The handicap of the substitute player shall
be the NGS percentage as on the date of play.
- The Captain of each team to disclose to
no later than 9am on the Friday of play, the identities of the
players for that week.
- Any team not fielding 4 players shall be assigned the lowest
score of the evening minus 1.
ON THE NIGHT:
- Please arrive at 6.45pm to help set up for a 7pm start.
A. Setting up. 8 tables will need to be set up with chairs,
cloths, bidding boxes, boards, travellers, curtain cards and scorecards. The Director for
the evening will unlock the Paterson Centre and the cupboard containing the equipment.
B. Catering. This involves setting out the tea cups, biscuits
etc. and putting on the immersion heater.
The role also involves serving the tea and
coffee overseeing washing up and putting away
and turning off the immersion heater.
C. Putting away. The chairs and tables need to be returned to their resting places.
The equipment needs to be returned to its cupboard.
NOTE: although these roles are assigned in the rota below, it is
hoped that all players will assist as normal. Many hands make
light work! Dummies will be asked to wash up after the break as
usual. The rota is as follows. The numbers are the number
of the team:
A B C
Mar. 1 2 3
Apr. 4 5 6
May 7 8 1
Sep. 2 3 4
Oct. 5 6 7
Nov. 8 1 2
- A list showing team members and handicaps will be made available on the
evening and will have been emailed to the captains on the morning of the event.
- When the 8 tables have been set up please, as a team, go and
sit at the table corresponding to your team number. Please shuffle the boards
and fill in the curtain cards and number and insert the travellers.
- Please put table money of £2.00 per person on the table.
- When the 3 boards have been played, agree the scores with
your opponents. All players must complete a score card to
facilitate accurate scoring for your team.
- A break for refreshments for about 15 minutes will be held
after the 5th round.
- After having played each of the other teams you should
return to your original table.
- After play is completed players are asked to score their results and inform the
Director of them.
Until the Director confirms that the scores have been correctly calculated (the sum of
the positive scores must equal the sum of the negative scores),
players should remain in the room.
- Once play is completed all teams should help return the chairs and tables
to where they came from.
Boards, bidding boxes and table covers should be put in their boxes.
- If you would like to view the board analysis please take some curtain cards home and
enter them into the web page here using
SobertonShiels as the club name.
- The scores and board analysis will be entered into the web
where a copy of these rules may be found.
Team members, team numbers and team names
Graham Lawrence (1 - Six Hearts)
Gill Flexon (2 - Acolytes)
Pauline Forrest (3 - Bridgemates)
Maggie Flood (4 - The Cards)
Jackie Kershaw (5 - Ruff Diamonds)
Tony Allen (6 - Crazy Diamonds)
Sarah Smallwood (7 - Queens of Clubs)
Ellis Morgan (8 - Rowlands Rats)